Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Post 2 from the MTC

Last week I wrote you from the busy, crowded laundry room. This week I am sitting in the English speaking missionary computer lab, and it could not be more different. Quiet, cushy, only four people... it's ridiculous. As you may be able to tell, there is a bit of a dichotomy between the English building and the rest of the MTC. Our elders first discovered this difference this week as they were exploring the MTC. They walked into an air-conditioned (!!) building and found that the rooms had real, normal sized desks, rather than the weird little half-desk-attached-to-chair things found in most classrooms. Not only that, but the computer lab has headphones with WORKING MICROPHONES. And who studies in this building? Not the Mandarin speaking missionaries, with our 20 pound bags of books, but the English speaking elders.

(I know that reads a little bitter, but I really do love our building and classroom. We have a good time, even if I can't fit my books on my desk.)

In other news, I've completed another week at the MTC! It is crazy to think how much I have learned since coming here. The people are supportive, the missionaries fun, and the material more important than anything I have ever worked with. 

A funny story with one of our elders this week: On Wednesday I was having what one could call a difficult hair day. I had it tied back, but it kept falling down and distracting me. Finally, while my companion and I were at the drinking fountain, I decided that fine, I would just take it down and let it be. As I walked back into the room, one of our dear elders looked at me and said "What's WRONG with you??" He had been meaning to inquire after my well-being and obvious change in hairstyle. However, what came out was not what he intended, and he spent the next minute or two trying to make up for his mistake. Sister Stevens and I could not stop laughing, and throughout the week at appropriate moments we have asked the question "What's WRONG with you??" in the most loving way we can. We have a great district. It kind of feels like a room full of little brothers, which some of you know can be the best and most aggravating thing in the world. I am grateful that we are in this particular group, though.

Our fireside this week was a musical fireside by Jenny Oaks Baker, a nationally acclaimed violinist. It was wonderful, and her music brought the Spirit to the meeting. I have always loved her music and it was very cool to hear her in person. Each song she played was accompanied by a story from her life or a reaffirmation of her testimony. Two of my favorite songs were when she played "Amazing Grace" and when her four children performed "I am a Child of God." I did not realize how much I have missed listening to uplifting music until I heard her play. One unfortunate thing about the MTC is that while music can be performed, we cannot just play it to listen to while we are here. I loved being able to just sit and listen for a while to Sister Baker's music. It was wonderful.

That's all I really have time for this week. I'll remind you that mail to the MTC is free through DearElder.com and that if you want a letter back from me, please include your address.

I love you all!

Sister Beer

No comments:

Post a Comment