Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Something's about to happen.

Hello everyone!

I am officially in my last week at the MTC.  The past couple of days have been crazy, helping people pack and saying goodbye to the friends I have made here at the MTC.  It has been hard to watch everyone go, but I know they are going to do the Lord's work and that is a wonderful feeling.  I am hoping that in a couple years I will see all of them and have the same experience Alma has in Alma 17:2 where he finds that his fellow missionaries are still his bretheren in the Lord.  I love these Elders and Sisters so much and I know that they will find amazing success in their respective missions.

It was especially difficult to see Sister Stevens leave, but I am so excited for her to go to Australia!  Besides, she said she would send me a picture of a koala. :)  She has been an amazing companion for me, though, and I have loved learning and growing with her at the MTC.

I am currently a solo sister, which is super weird.  That means that I do stuff with my district, which only has two other elders in it right now, but all the rest of the time I have a new companion!  My new companion's name is Sister Ashcraft.  She is in the younger generation and is going to Taipei, Taiwan.  We have been running around a lot today, getting my stuff moved over to her residence and finishing up a couple of things around the MTC, but all in all I think we are going to be great this next week.  The younger generation is pretty awesome.  I'm looking foward to getting to know them better.

One of the highlights of my week was on Sunday at Relief Society.  We are so lucky at the MTC to get so many wonderful people who come to visit us and share their experiences!  This week Sheri Dew (!!) came to speak and it was AMAZING.  Seriously, that woman is so strong and so incredible in her faith.  Her main message was focused on who we are and why it matters that we know that, especially as LDS women.  She talked about our relationship wish God and how we are literal daughters (or sons, as the case may be) of a loving father who wants what is very best for us.  She says that she is asked a lot about what it is like to be a "repressed LDS woman."  I loved her answer.  She talked about how within the church women have many responsibilities and opportunities that are not allowed anywhere else.  We lead in the Relief Society, Young Womens, and the Primary.  We are allowed to preach over the pulpit and to teach doctrine in classes, for which many churches require ordination.  We are able to have every blessing that the Lord promises to His children, as well as access to the blessings that come from the power of the priesthood.  I agree with her, the idea of a "repressed LDS woman" is ridiculous.  We are no more repressed than any other woman, and if we are, it is not because of the Gospel of Christ.  This message works to free people, not bind them down.  I am so grateful I get to share it with people in New York!

Speaking of which, the next letter I write you will be from New York.  Since I will be traveling next Tuesday, I won't be able to write a letter.  Know that I love all of you, though, and that I am grateful for all of the love and support you have given me and the other missionaries in the field.  This is a great work, and I am excited to be a part of it.

I love you!

Sister Caitlin Beer

P.S. After the meeting I got to meet Sister Dew.  She looked at my tag and asked "Do people often make fun of your last name" "All the time." "Me too. 'Dew.'"  So.... pretty much it was awesome, and Sheri Dew knows my name.  Also, if you don't know who she is, go look her up.  She's a pretty impressive lady.




This is our district with Brother McLaws (Mu Laoshi), our hipster teacher.  He is very animated in class and yesterday he brought in a glass bottle of water with chia seeds floating in it.  Elder Zavala (Zhai Zhanglao) commented that water must be too mainstream for him.


This is our district again, but with Brother Liu (Liu Laoshi) and Sister Han (Han Laoshi).  They are some of the best teachers I have ever known, and I am going to miss them!


This picture is with Brother Vernon (Wen Laoshi).  He is the one that knows Caitie McKay (Soffe) and is pretty awesome.  So you know, the order of people here:  Top row: Elder Young, Elder Steadman, Brother Vernon, Elder Hare and Elder Hawks.  Bottom row: Sister Stevens, me, Elder Zavala, Elder Murray, Elder Woodward, Elder Tsai.


This is one of Brother Vernon, Shen Jiemei, and me.  I love this picture of us sisters - my companion is adorable. :)




My district had a British day this last week.  It was super fun - we dressed up, spoke in British accents, and played Bocci ball.  I had a lot of fun, and I think everyone else did too!


Elder Zavala got some ties in the mail last week, and he let us try them out.  I'm a fan, personally.  Llamas are pretty cool.

1 comment: