Friday, October 26, 2012

Week Four: In Which an Apostle Visits and the Missionaries Go to a Farm

Yep, you read that right. D. Todd Christofferson came to visit our mission on Saturday!  Having an Apostle come to speak is pretty much like Christmas for missionaries.  It was awesome to feel the spirit that accompanies an Apostle and to feel how much he loved us and our mission.  He told us about how the Lord asks us to call people to repentance, and that repentance will bring them joy.  When we sin, we are separated from our Heavenly Father, and that separation brings sadness.  I know from experience that when we truly repent we have joy.  The Lord wants to bless us and wants us to be happy.

In other news, we went to a farm this week!  


















Our ward went on a special trip to a farm outside the city.  It was awesome!  Once you leave the metro area, it's easy to see that fall has come to the Northeast.  


We bought apples, I ate a cinnamon sugar donut, and we looked at pumpkins. All around a great trip, I think.

Afterwards we went to West Point Military Academy, an Army school located in New York.  It's pretty old and pretty famous, and I actually had a friend in the MTC who was enrolled there.  They have a museum there dedicated to military history in America that was interesting.  Our ward is great.  The members are wonderful, and so humble.  I am blessed to be working with them.

Also, I would like you all to know that coming on my mission has not stopped me from baking!  I was a little scared that I wouldn't have time to bake, but as of yet I have made banana bread twice, so it's all good. 


I'm looking forward to other cooking adventures soon... :)

I have the opportunity today to go to the temple, which is great.  We get to go once every transfer, and this time around this is the week our District chose.  





















The Manhattan temple is unique, however, in the fact that half of the building is temple and half is a meetinghouse.  As of yet I have only gone to the meetinghouse portion, so I am super excited to go to the temple today!

Because we are downtown for P-Day, I was able to fulfill a life dream.  For lunch Sister Gao, Sister Khong and I (I am on splits right now) went and bought some soup at a local supermarket and sat in the plaza in front of the temple to eat. 


 Growing up, that's kind of what I imagined New York City was like, sitting outside, cars driving by, sipping your hot chocolate or soup, and thinking about whatever people in New York think about.  Now I can check that off my bucket list.


That's all I have time for today.  Thank you for your prayers and your missionary efforts at home.  I had a friend tell me once that miracles happen every day, and if we don't see them, we aren't looking hard enough.  Have a great week!

Love,
Sister Beer

No comments:

Post a Comment