Wednesday, November 28, 2012

"Great week!" says Sister Liu


That's what Sister Liu said my post title should be this week.  So it is.

And it has been a great week!  We have had Thanksgiving dinners (that's right, multiple ones), a baptism, I cut Sister Liu's hair, and as always, we saw miracles every day.

Thanksgiving was awesome.  Our branch had a Thanksgiving dinner (their first one ever) and the missionaries put on a Music and the Spoken Word style program at the end. Lucky for us, we have an eloquent elder to write the words, two music majors in our district (piano and flute performance), a professional violinist in our branch, and... me.  So I had fun doing music things with the experts, and the program went very well.

Our second Thanksgiving dinner was with the district.  One of the counselors in our branch gave the missionaries a turkey and asked Sister Blair to cook it for us, so we just decided to have a little potluck to go with it.  I made Grandma Beer jello salad, which was received very well by the district.  Great-Grandma Beer knew what she was doing with that one.

The other big thing from this week is that one of our investigators got baptized!  Brother Wang is from Mainland China, and is pretty awesome.  Sister Liu actually met him back in May, but he wasn't ready at that time and decided to stop meeting with the missionaries.  Months later, about three weeks after I arrived, he showed up at English class and asked when we could meet with him again to talk about the Gospel.  We started teaching him, and now he is baptized!  We are so happy for him and the choice he made, and  know that it will bless him as he learns more and continues to progress.

As we attended Brother Wang's baptism, I thought about my own baptism and how it made me feel.  I remember just being so happy the entire time, like I was light as air, because I knew that I was doing something God wanted me to do.  Now as I look back, I recognize that happiness comes from obeying God's commandments and from being worthy to be in his presence.  It is a feeling that I will always strive to have.

Love,
Sister Beer



I got a new nametag a few weeks ago and forgot to show you!  It has both of my languages, so now everyone can know my name and what organization I work with.  We special order our tags from HK so we can have the dual language.  Cool, eh?



I found Apple Sidra in Chinatown!  I'm pretty excited about it.  It's in my fridge right now.



At Rockaway Point doing service.  We saw one of my former students and older MTC generation missionaries, Elder Liston!  The people in the picture are Sister Liu, me, Elder Zander, Elder Liston, Elder Blonquist. (Elder Zander and Blonquist are in my district, but were in the MTC at the same time as Elder Liston.)



That is us with Brother Wang.  He doesn't smile for pictures.


No comments:

Post a Comment