Thursday, September 12, 2013

Missionaries... on Facebook?!?

Yeah, you read that right.  I am officially approved as an online proselyting missionary.  That means I can use Facebook, email, Skype, and other technology as proselyting tools.  That means that you all will soon see me posting almost daily to my Facebook account about gospel subjects and other fun, missionary things.  This is an incredible step forward in missionary work, and we are one of the first missions that has been approved for online work.  There are some rules, and I figured I should let you all know some of them.

1.  Facebook and other internet based sites (like Skype) are to be used as proselyting tools, not as social mechanisms.  I still won't be able to respond to messages, posts, and such until I am no longer a set apart missionary.  But I still love you, I promise.

2.  My Facebook account must be missionary appropriate, which means removing or hiding any non-missionary appropriate pictures, posts, etc., so if something that you put on my timeline disappears, it's not because I don't love you, it's because I'm trying to help spread the gospel.  I promise.

3.  You can still communicate with me through email or through regular old snail mail.  It is still true that missionaries love to get mail.  Time and new technology have not changed that fact.

That's pretty much it.  We live in exciting times, my friends.  Missionaries on Facebook... who ever thought that would happen?

There are other big changes coming to happy Chinatown family, including the introduction of what is called the Model District, a program that lowers area boundaries and allows missionaries to work as a unit, not solely as separate companionships.  We are the third district in the mission to start this new program, and I think it makes a lot of sense in a place like Chinatown where there are so many missionaries in one ward.  This allows us to pool our resources teaching investigators and members, as well as helps us to improve our unity as a missionary force with ourselves and with ward leadership.  A huge focus of the Model District is doing exactly what the ward, specifically the Bishop, asks us to. And that is exactly what we are doing.  Big changes are coming to Chinatown, I can feel it.

Amidst all of this, Sister Khong and I continue to go on splits, teach lessons, and find people wherever we can.  It is times like these that I think about what an awesome opportunity it is to serve a mission, especially where I am and when I am.  Recently I have reflected on my life and noticed very clearly instances where the Lord has provided experiences that would help to prepare me for what I am doing now.  Sister Hinckley once said that "Everything you are doing now is preparing you for something else."  That is incredibly true.  I have seen it in my life, and I continue to see it as the Lord gives me new challenges and blessings here in the mission field.  It almost makes me wonder what he is preparing me for next!  But we'll let that adventure come when it will.  For now, missionary work.

I love you all!  Have a great week!

Love,
Sister Beer

1 comment: