Sunday, February 24, 2013

"The Importance of How to Begin Teaching" by Sister Beer


I am so excited to write you this letter.  This week Sister Khong and I experienced miracles.  By doing exactly what we had been told concerning How to Begin Teaching and working with new investigators, we were able to have a spiritual experience with a former investigator that will probably define the rest of the lessons we teach with him.

A little bit of background.  There is a section in Preach My Gospel in chapter 10 titled "How to Begin Teaching".  This section outlines what should happen at the beginning of every first appointment.  Before receiving our recent training, I thought it was a good way to start out a lesson.  Now, I know it is the way to start out a lesson.  We received training from the missionary department in Salt Lake City about how to better utilize How to Begin Teaching in our lessons.  In the training we were instructed that How to Begin Teaching is not just inspired, as is Preach My Gospel, but is actually revelation that was given to President Boyd K. Packer.  How it is in the manual is exactly how it was revealed to him.  I have read it a little differently since receiving this training, and as we have applied the principles of this section as they should be applied, wonderful things have happened.

For example, with the aforementioned investigator.  We used the principles of How to Begin Teaching to guide how we taught his lesson that day.  There was one point in the lesson where the Spirit was especially strong, and I felt impressed to stop the lesson and talk about what I personally was feeling.  I described the warmth I felt said it was the Spirit.  I asked him what he was feeling at that point, and he said he felt peace.  We then explained that that feeling was the Spirit telling him that our message was true.  At the end of the lesson, he told us that this time meeting with us felt different than when he met with the missionaries before, and that he understood what we said so clearly.  I fully believe this is because of us taking the counsel we have been given and using How to Begin Teaching in our lessons.  It was awesome. 
 
In other news, we have a new Elder in our district.  His name is Elder Wang and he is from Mainland China, although he lived in California for three years before coming on his mission.  He's awesome, and has the fantastic Elder Murray as his trainer!  I don't think Elder Wang realizes how lucky he is, having Elder Murray train him.  He's going to get a great foundation on how to talk to and work with investigators, members, and people in general as a result.
I love my district, I love my ward, I love my mission.  Also, I love all of you.  Have a great week!
Love,
Sister Beer

No comments:

Post a Comment