Thursday, March 28, 2013

Did you get your hair cut in Paris?

Today's post title comes from a wonderful old man I met while eating lunch yesterday.  Sister Lee and I went up to the Family History Center at the Manhattan chapel and got lunch while we were in the area.  As we were sitting out in front of the temple, eating our soup (and thereby fulfilling a mutual New York City dream of ours)  this older gentleman with thick glasses walks up and asks "Excuse me, did you get your hair cut in Paris?"  I told him that I had not, and that it had actually been a very long time since I had it cut.  He responded "oh, well it looks very nice."  I thanked him, and it was a bright moment in my day.  I love nice people. :)

This week we have seen the beginnings of spring in New York City.  I have never been so excited for warm weather.  See, for sister missionaries, warm weather = no tights!  It also means that it's not awful to go contacting outside, and that people actually don't mind stopping to talk for a minute since it's not like death outside.  Hopefully we will see more good weather as April starts, and the snow stays away. (Note: there is actually supposed to be snow tomorrow, but the high is 50 degrees... anyone else confused?)

I continue to be amazed at the incredible faith of our recent converts.  They give up so much to come to church, and I am so grateful for their good example to the people that I am currently working with.  I don't think members realize how much it means to missionaries when they are willing to fellowship and contribute to the work!  We can't do this alone, and every little bit counts.  Sister Lee and I were watching a video from the District (a documentary about missionaries in the field) as a part of her 12 week training, and in it the mission president talked about combining the "member church" and the "missionary church."  We are one church, he said, and we need to remember that.  The efforts of the missionaries are not something separate from the efforts of the bishop, the relief society president, the elders quorum president, the home and visiting teachers, from any member.  They are the same thing.  We are all trying to help others grow closer to Jesus Christ through the medium of His restored gospel.  What a great opportunity that is!

With the advent of spring, that means that Easter is coming.  I was a little surprised to realize that it was this week, but that just shows how time flies in the mission!  This week Sister Lee and I headed up a Zone activity where we had an Easter egg hunt with the other missionaries.  In each egg there was a little candy and a note.  Some of them were silly ("Thanks for saving me from that plastic egg.  It was getting stuffy in there!"), and some of them were spiritual.  Sister Lee and I had a good time preparing them and looking up some good scriptures to share.  One of my favorites that we found was Matthew 28:6, which says "He is not here: for he is risen, as he said.  Come, see the place where the Lord lay."  How awesome is that?  He is risen!  We have a resurrected Lord and Savior who loves us and is waiting with open arms for us to come to him! (2 Nephi 26:23-25, 27)  He wants us to utilize the gift of the Atonement and become worthy to return and live with Him, our Heavenly Father, and our families for all of eternity.  I am blown away every time I stop to really think about it.  We truly are blessed, and I feel blessed for the opportunity to share this message with others.

Thank you for the support you give me and other missionaries.  Every little bit you do helps, and we appreciate it so much!  Happy Easter, everyone!

Love,
Sister Beer

No comments:

Post a Comment