Thursday, March 7, 2013

The Wonderful, Fantastic Sister Lee (and other things)

I have a new companion!  And not only is she a new companion, but she is also a brand new, shiny, clean, fresh-out-of-the-MTC missionary!  Adding to that, she is super awesome and I love her already and I am SO EXCITED to work with her... and so forth.  She is and ABT (American Born Taiwanese) who has lived all over the USA and traveled to Taiwan and China.  She spoke Mandarin growing up, so no worries there, and talking to her is kind of like talking to a different, more Asian-on-the-outside version of myself.  Ah!  I am just so excited to work with her.

The one downside to getting a new companion is that my dear Sister Khong is no longer my companion.  She has moved on to her very own trainee, Sister Mackay from Payson, Utah.  She is also fantastic, and I am sure we will hear many great things from them in the future.

What an awesome opportunity it is to be in the mission field right now, with all the changes that are happening.  We had 40 (that's right, 40) new missionaries come in this transfer.  Our total missionary count in the New York, New York North mission is 209 missionaries.  That is incredible!  There is a huge amount of growth in the mission, and it's only getting bigger.  And I'm a part of it.  I couldn't ask for anything more.

One funny story from this week.  I met this old guy while contacting yesterday.  When I started speaking to him in Chinese, he looked at me and said (in Mandarin) "You speak Mandarin?" "Yes, I do." "That's good.  You should speak Mandarin.  There are a lot more Mandarin speakers than anyone else in the world."  I agreed and brought up the gospel again.  He squinted at me and said "How old are you?" "22." "I am a Christian, and I am 50 years older than you.  50 Years.  That's 72.  Do you think you can teach me?" "I think no matter how old we are, we can learn more how to come unto Christ.  Yes, I do." "Okay.  Good."  And then he gave me his number.  Super awesome.  I love old Chinese people.

A thought I had this week as I was studying:  In John 7:17, it says that, "If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself."  I thought that was super interesting as we compare that scripture to D&C 130 20-22, which talks about how as we are obedient, the Lord blesses us.  One of the greatest blessings we can receive is the companionship of the Holy Ghost, which allows us to know, rather than just believe, the doctrine, and also know what the Father wants us to understand.  The Holy Ghost testifies of all truth, and helps us obtain the blessings Heavenly Father wants to give us.  What a fantastic promise.

With that, I have to get going.  I hope you all are having an absolutely wonderful week.  The gospel is true, God loves His children, and he shows that love through continuing revelation to a prophet who leads our Church.  I love you all and appreciate all your support!

Love,
Sister Beer

No comments:

Post a Comment