Wednesday, June 19, 2013

In which Sister Beer does some repenting and finally writes a blog post

Okay.  I really did mean to write last week, I promise.  So many good things happened that I wanted to share with you!  I even wrote a little outline in my planner of what I wanted to write.  And then suddenly there were lessons and no internet at the chapel and... no blog post.

But I'm here now, and that's what counts, right?

Chinatown is still here, in case you were wondering.  There is still missionary work happening, and I am still incredibly happy and grateful to be here.  Even though not every day is easy, I always seem to be learning something.  Actually, it is because days aren't easy I am learning something.  That seems to be how the Lord works, if Ether 12:6, 27 are any indication.

Sister Murray, you will be happy to know your son is still as musically gifted as ever.  On Monday I had the awesome opportunity to go to President Morgan's home and perform with Elder Murray and Elder Foley at a special Family Home Evening for a departing member of our mission presidency and his family.  We performed three pieces (all arranged by Elder Murray) with Elder Murray on piano, Elder Foley playing flute, and me singing in various combinations.  It was awesome.  I am so grateful for the opportunities my mission has provided for me to share my testimony through music!  Also, it was a lot of fun to work with the Elders doing music things - they are both pretty fantastically talented.

It was especially cool to do since Elder Murray is currently serving upstate.  Usually when missionaries go up that means that we have little-to-no contact with them at all for the time they are out of Chinatown.  This will make time number two I have seen Elder Murray since he left.  (The first was at the Yankees game a few weeks ago, which was a lot of fun, by the way.  Once the church computer is up an running again I'll send pictures!)  It was pretty awesome.

We are teaching this awesome woman right now who is literally the best investigator ever.  She likes to begin lessons by asking us questions she has written down while studying the Book of Mormon.  I think this may be a first for me on my mission.  She is a true seeker-of-truth, which I absolutely love.  We taught her a lesson earlier this week and Sister Lee sat in with us.  After we were done she said "wow, she really is the best investigator ever."  Yeah.  It's true.

Making up for two weeks without boring you all to tears is hard.  I'd better not skip again.

One thing before I go.  This morning I was studying in 2 Nephi 12, at the beginning of the Isaiah chapters.  I love that the first thing Nephi decides to record from Isaiah is about the temple.  "[...] Come ye, and let us go to the mountain [temple] of the Lord, [...] and he will teach us his ways, and we will walk in his paths [...]"  How awesome is that?  In the temple we are taught about the ways of the Lord, and how to become more like him.  We are taught more completely how we fit into the Plan of Happiness and what we can do to better fulfill our role in that plan.  What an incredible gift!  The blessings of the temple, the knowledge of God, are available to any who are willing to follow Him and keep His commandments.  It's pretty incredible, when you stop and think about it.

I love all of you.  I hope this week is everything you want it to be and more!

Much love,

Sister Beer

No comments:

Post a Comment