Friday, June 7, 2013

The Gift of Tongues

Dear all,

I don't have much time to write, since we are going to a Yankees game in about two seconds.  I just want to say I love you all, the gospel is true, and we'll see you next week!

Much love,
Sister Beer


P.S. A section from a letter sent to Sister Beer's mother:

On a side note: the gift of tongues is real.  Before I left on splits [with a spanish-speaking sister] I said a fervent prayer that I would be able to understand and contribute in the lessons I attended while in Inwood.  I figured this wasn't too grand a request since 1) the Lord can do anything and 2) I took a few years of Spanish in high school, as well as grew up with Spanish influences in my home.  

In the first lesson we taught we worked with a less active member named Candida who has no real desire to come to church.  She is a wonderful, sweet woman, she just hasn't quite made the connection that going back to church will help her with the problems she is facing right now.  While we sat talking with her, I felt impressed to share my testimony of sharing testimonies.  I turned to Sister Portugal and asked if she could translate for me, but then Candida said "No, she can do it," I would assume since she heard me reading in Spanish before.  She then looked at me expectantly.  

I started speaking, and, while it wasn't perfect, and I needed help with a couple of words, I was able to bear my testimony to her about how much Heavenly Father loves her and wants her to share her testimony with other people at church.  I told her that she would be able to help build other people's faith with her own.  I'm pretty sure I didn't learn most of those words in Spanish class.  I could feel the Spirit, and I was so grateful for that answer to a prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment