Tuesday, June 4, 2013

New Cycle, New Expectations

Hello all!

Transfers were this week, and boy, are we seeing some change in Chinatown.

Possibly most significant is the fact that Elder Murray and Elder Ling are going upstate.  We are really going to miss them here.  I realized also that Elder Murray and I have been in the same district or zone for the last eleven months.  That's a long time.  He is a fantastic missionary, and someone who's work and dedication (not to mention musical ability) I greatly admire.  Upstate is going to love him.  In return, though, we are getting Elder Zander back, and he will be training Elder Leung from Hong Kong.  Hooray for new missionaries!

I have been transferred out of my area, but am still in Chinatown.  I will be working with Sister Woo as a Sister Training Leader in Manhattan.  What that means is that we will go and do exchanges with sisters in the four Manhattan zones to help train and evaluate their work.  It should be a great experience, and I have been wanting to work with Sister Woo essentially since the beginning of my mission.  She is from Singapore, rock climbs, is studying mechanical engineering at BYU, and is lots of fun to be around.  I'm super excited!

Looking back at the last cycle, I have seen an incredible amount of change.  Sister Lee (who I am really going to miss being companions with) and my area went from a mediocre to a strong area.  We have solid investigators who are progressing towards baptism, great less actives who are coming back to activity, and solid members who are willing to help us do missionary work.  What more could a missionary ask for?  It's incredible.  Beyond that, I have seen incredible personal growth and have felt an increased connection with my Heavenly Father.  It has been a great cycle, and one that has shown me that it really is through small things that great things come to pass.

For example, this last week we had one of our less actives officially come back into activity.  I have been teaching her since January, when she was not attending church, seldom praying and not reading scriptures at all.  Since then she has started reading, praying every day, has changed her work schedule to come to church, and has seen miracles in her life as a direct result of keeping commandments.  She is worthy and willing to partake of the sacrament.  Her testimony is incredible!  

As I was talking with one of my zone leaders this week I wondered how it was possible she hadn't become reactivated earlier.  He said "Maybe no one took the time to really focus on her like you two have."  It made me stop and think.  Our making the effort to go and visit, even when it seemed like she wasn't making progress at all, was an act of faith in her and in the Lord on her behalf.  That faith resulted in a miracle. (See 2 Nephi 27:23 for more on that note.)

I love you all.  You are amazing, and I am lucky to have your love and support!

Until next week,
Sister Beer

No comments:

Post a Comment